FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not yet seen.
Heb. 11:1

Friday, September 7, 2012

family update




I apologize that I've not posted this summer.   I've had several families e-mail me to check in and quite honestly I feel very bad that I haven't "made" the time to write a quick post.   Needless to say, trying to find the new normal has been WAY harder than I imagined.  In fact, a few weeks ago I told myself why do we have to have a NEW normal?  Why can't we still have some of the old normal.  I miss the old normal!!!!

I so admire those who return home and can get right back into the groove of things.  Honestly, I don't know how it's done.  There have been many days that I'd just like to hide under my pillow all day.   Faith has been amazing in the transition.  She is an extrovert with a capital "E".  She reminds me so much of Maggie when we brought her home, but she was only 20 months.   Everything I read didn't really prepare me for her becoming so attached so quickly - immediatley.   Thankfully, the shadowing is calming down and since I've been back to work and school has started, she has become much more comfortable when I'm not around.   Please don't think I'm griping cause I'm not.  I'm just putting some of it out there.  All is quite good and I couldn't ask for a better transition. 

Here's where we are now:  Faith is in the 7th grade in ESL.  She has an amazing teacher with an assistant and is making progress in her English.  In fact, I think she's doing better than Jacob did at 4 years old.   She loses her patience very quickly and gets frustrated.  Hmmm, just like Jacob.  They have something in common.  In fact, just 2 days ago I heard him tell her that she needed to not get mad playing her DS or she was going to break it.  He said it so calmly too.  Sounds just like something I used to say to him.  I think he finally gets it.   I've seen so many blessings in just the small stuff.  Faith attends Chinese church at our church on Sunday mornings.  At first she didn't want to stay, but now she goes right into the class and doesn't say anything.  She probably figures it won't do any good, anyway.   I find that she does much better if I push her to try to excell in something (even if it's just picking out her own clothes).  If I don't, she either wants me to do it for her or she won't do it at all.   Really, it's just like having a 4 or 5 year old.   Her confidence level is growing with leaps and bounds.   The girl's pick out their school clothes the night before and Faith used to want me to pick hers out.  Now she will pick it out on her own.  Hey, we're ,making progress.   She is learning not to say "no" to mamma.  That's a no no.  I think the first time she tried me and said "no", the other kid's eyes got sooo big.  Respect is huge in our household and it goes both ways.  So learning to respect not only me but brothers and sisters has been a little challenging, but we're getting there.  I just have to remind myself that this child has lived the first 12 years of her life somewhere else, not here.   Sometimes I just forget.
All in all, all is good.  With each new day, our new normal is coming together.  It doesn't happen overnight, like we'd like.  It takes lots of time and tlc.   Below are a few pictures that were taken over the summer.  I'll try to post later with some updated pictures.  I don't even know if I took school pictures this year.  We need to rewind just a wee little bit.   I'm feeling just a little behind.



Maggie and Faith on the playground

Faith, Emmi, Maggie, & Jacob

Maggie's 5th grade graduation - she's on the stage walking off

Maggie's 11th birthday.  WOW!!!  So hard to believe she's growing up so fast.

Maggie's birthday again with Emmi.

Faith learning to ride her bike.  Bless her heart, she had many wrecks but finally got it and now can ride without training wheels!!  You go sweet girl!!!  We knew you could do it!!  We had the faith!!!

Jacob's birthday (11 days after Maggie's)  He turned 10!!!

Oh yea, Emmi made Jacob's cake!!!  It was amazing!!!  And he wanted her to make it too!!

Make a wish!!!  Hmmm, wonder if it's for a brother?


All of us incluidng our puppy dogs!



Again, thank you so much for praying for us, following our journey, checking in on us, and supporting our journey.  We are so blessed to have so many sweet and caring friends.  God has been so good to us and He alone knows the plan.  I'm so glad we obeyed and followed His plan to bring Faith home.  

I will do my best to post more frequently.  And get back to normal with updates.   I have some other ideas up my sleeve and just need to plan my time so I can have mommy computer time.  Thanks so much again!!!!

Many blessings,
Anita


No comments:

Post a Comment