FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not yet seen.
Heb. 11:1

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Older child adoption

It just breaks my heart that sweet Dalton has aged out and is not longer able to be adopted. Not only him, but countless others that age out every single day.
I never, ever thought I would consider an older child. We started the adoption process in 1998 and received the referral of our first daughter, Emmi, in October 2000. She was one year old when we traveled to bring her home. I remember while we were waiting for her referral, that I wanted her to be as young as possible, a baby. She was our first child. She was the most beautiful baby, my daughter. It seems just like yesterday. Now she's 11. Where did the time go? Take time everyday to enjoy your children. They grow way to fast.

I knew Emmi needed a sister. Being an only child myself, I didn't want her growing up alone. In God's timing, we found sweet Maggie. Not only was Maggie a little older, but she was also considered special need due to a cleft lip/cleft palate. I never dreamed I could possibly adopt a child with a special need. I remember doing my homework, looking up anything and everything I could about this need. I talked to many moms who had children with this need. It was all God's plan, He knew. Maggie was a little older, 20 months. And now, this need is really not a need at all. Trust in Him!! I did.

Then in 2005, as I was hoping to adopt another little girl, God had another plan. It took me just a little while to hear Him (I'm hard headed like that). I was advocating for a little boy, age 2, with our agency. He too had a special need, club radial hand. He was one of the last children left on the agency's list and his file would be returned yet again if his family didn't find him, and soon. As I went back and looked at his file one day, I began to realize that he was meant to be our child. Instead of another daughter, God had a different plan, a son. In 2006, we traveled to bring our son home. He was 3 3/4 years old. Just a few years back I wouldn't have even considered an older toddler. But God had a plan. As you can see, each child was a little older.

Now, as we wait for our third daughter, Faith, 11 years old in Tianjin, China, I would have never, ever imagined 10 years ago that we would be adopting an 11 year old. But God had a different plan. I've done lots of homework so far and still doing more. I've heard it's better to prepare for the worst scenario (did that for just about all 3 kiddos). I can not tell you how excited I am that we are adopting yet again and that she's older. Only God knew!!
Please open your heart to an older child. Whether they are 2 or 13, they all need a sweet, precious family!!!!

Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment